Learning, Exploration, Adventure and Fun
Keep your students excited about learning with a program that enhances their classroom work with hands-on experiences.
Students gain an understanding and appreciation of the natural world in our outdoor classroom. Choose an educational adventure that provides your students with a lifetime of memories.
YMCA Camp Harrison at Herring Ridge, has an environmental education program for students in all grades, we offer hands-on instruction in forestry, ecology and sustainability. Located on 2000 acres of woods, streams, and trails around private Lake Broyhill, our wonderfully preserved natural oasis just outside North Wilkesboro provides an ideal classroom for enriching education experiences.
Developed to create an awareness and understanding of our natural environment, our center encourages students to become good stewards to the Earth through simple everyday tasks. We customize half and full day environmental education programs for students and teachers as well as overnight programs for all grade levels.
We also offer team building for students and faculty on our low or high ropes course.
The overnight program incorporates environmental science and character education. Designed to meet North Carolina curriculum standards for each grade level, students spend days and nights investigating the natural environment while learning about their personal values.
Our overnight program centers on three main components:
- Forest Ecology: Students learn ecology basics and the local flora and fauna.
- Water Ecology: Students learn about the water cycle, water conservation and the organisms within the water.
- People and the Land: Students learn about local resources, food production and culture.
- Students make conservation globe to take back to the classroom
- Respect for other cultures and people
- Teambuilding and new friendships
- Interactive games that challenge student views and values
Life Changing Experience
- Connection to Herring Ridge and the Brushy Mountains
- Fostering students interest in science for years to come
- All the benefits of a resident camp experience including lifetime memories, relationships and personal growth
Our customized team building programs help students and/or faculty improve their ability to work as a team and recognize each other's strengths. With varying options of depth and intensity on our low or high ropes course, our expert facilitators align your experience with your specific objectives and goals. Ideal for single classrooms, student government, sports teams and/or teacher groups.
Choose from full day, half day or overnight experience.