We are Committed to Sustainability
We incorporate sustainable practices into our Environmental Education Center with:
- Sixteen solar panels provided by Duke Energy and EnergyWise which power 50% of our Recreation Hall’s electricity on a sunny day.
- Rain Barrels which collect water from the Pioneer Cabin and EEC Shelter for use in classes and watering our herb and vegetable gardens.
- Instant Hot Water Heaters in the cabins.
- Utilizing compost built from the fruits and veggies from our dining hall in our vegetable garden.
- Sustainable construction practices such as our new Duke Energy Pavilion.
- Recycling plastic, aluminum, cardboard and paper throughout camp.
- Installing low flush toilets throughout camp.
- Replacing traditional light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs and LED lighting.