Global Services - New American Welcome Center
HELPING NEWCOMERS THRIVE
At the Y, we believe communities are at their strongest when everyone feels valued, has support to reach their potential and can fully participate in society. Today, with more than 42 million foreign-born individuals living in the U.S., the Y is committed to offering services and opportunities needed for newcomers to be self-reliant, connected, and contributing members of their communities.
Did You Know?
- Charlotte has one of the fastest growing populations in the U.S.
- Home to over 1,000 foreign-owned firms from 45 countries.
- A global hub, 7th busiest international airport the world by total aircraft movement.
- 41,000+ Charlotte Mecklenburg School (CMS) students speak English as their second language.
- 183 countries represented in CMS, 197 different languages spoken.
- The Asian population is the fastest-growing racial/ethnic group in NC.
- In Lincoln County, NC the Hispanic Latino population is 6.7% with one of the largest concentrations of Costa Ricans in the country.
- Charlotte welcomes refugees from Burma, Congo, Ethiopia, Afghanistan, Eretria, Syria, Iran and Central America assisted by our city’s two federally-contracted Refugee Resettlement Agencies: Carolina Refugee Resettlement Agency and Catholic Charities.
- During the last decade, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) welcomed more than 7.4 million naturalized citizens into the fabric of our nation.
Welcoming & Inclusive
The YMCA’s New American Welcome Centers are designed to provide a combination of integration services, collaborations with community leaders and businesses, and strategies to connect and enhance cross-cultural understanding. With a focus on language and education, employment, health and wellbeing, citizenship and civic engagement, and community development the Y helps empower immigrants to achieve their full potential.