Academic Success - Parents as Teachers
A CHILD’S JOURNEY STARTS AT HOME
All kids have great potential. At the Y, we know parents are the most important adults in a young child’s life and the biggest contributors to their success. Parent involvement is a critical link in a child's development of learning skills. The YMCA of Greater Charlotte offers Parents as Teachers to provide parents with the information, support and encouragement they need to help their children develop optimally during the crucial early years of life.
Founded in Missouri in 1984, Parents as Teachers serves more than 195,000 children in all 50 U.S. states, more than 100 tribal organizations, schools and communities and five other countries. The YMCA of Greater Charlotte adopted the Parents as Teachers curriculum in 2007, serving 35 families on the East and West sides of Charlotte.
Parents as Teachers serves 350 families annually throughout Mecklenburg County. Over 80% of parents who participate in Parents as Teachers experience an increase in parenting knowledge and exhibit positive growth in parenting behaviors. Children who participate in Parents as Teachers:
- Are more advanced at age three in language, social development, problem solving and other cognitive abilities
- Show better school readiness at the start of kindergarten
- Achieve higher reading and math readiness at the end of kindergarten
- Achieve higher kindergarten grades, and
- Require fewer remedial education placements in first grade
For more information on volunteering, becoming a partner, or ways to offer your financial support for this program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org